Influencers have existed for centuries. However, it was only until the 21st century that they reached a fever pitch. One of the biggest gifts the internet and social media have given us is that they democratized influence and celebrity. Gone are the days when people have to go on auditions or go through traditional means to put themselves out there and gain some type of exposure.
If you have a knack for finding things to make life easier and more beautiful, why not consider starting a lifestyle blog? In essence, lifestyle blogging is really all about creating aspirational and curated content that inspires audiences to become the best versions of themselves. It’s all about sharing more about your daily activities and personal interests.
Everyone can take their chances of making money from a lifestyle blog, but it does not guarantee success. Here are some steps you can take to succeed in this industry.
Find Something New to Say
Here’s some good news: You are incredibly unique. Even if so many people are getting into lifestyle blogging—meaning you would have to contend with so many direct competitors—you still have an edge because no one else has your lived experience and unique viewpoint. No one else has your exact context and background. If you want to find success as a lifestyle blogger or influencer, then you need to ensure that you have something new to say.
It’s easier said than done because we can infer that every piece of lifestyle advice has probably been given already, but one thing you can do is to find a niche and excel in it. Here are some examples:
- Aside from sharing more about your daily activities and interests, why not use more of your skills for your content? For example, if you know a thing or two about investing in apartment buildings or real estate, why not share some tips and advice with your audience? Another example is languages. If you speak a foreign language, you can also leverage that skill to set yourself apart from other content creators. Whatever skills you have in your arsenal, make sure to use that, so you have something else to offer aside from the run-of-the-mill lifestyle content.
- Make sure to base your content, information, and advice on facts and evidence. One of the things currently plaguing the lifestyle blogging industry is misinformation and pseudoscience, especially in health and wellness blogs, so you can differentiate your blog or channel by being somebody who champions science and modern medicine. This brings us to being a thought leader.
Be a Thought Leader as Well
If you truly want to set yourself apart, then don’t just aspire to be an influencer; be a thought leader as well. Being a thought leader can mean the following:
- Being a go-to individual for specific topics. For example, if you have a background in software development or engineering, you can be the lifestyle influencer whom people go to for information on apps, data security, and other related topics.
- Profiting from your knowledge or license. Thought leaders are paid to share their wisdom and insight with others. If you are a licensed counselor, for example, you can use your license to give mental health advice to companies or corporations that need tips on how they can empower their employees to live holistically healthy lives.
While you can still share more about how you’re decorating your home, the makeup you’re using, or your favorite recipes, you will be giving your audience more incentive to choose your channel if you have other meaningful topics you can talk about.
Be Realistic About the Challenges You’ll Face
There are so many benefits to becoming a lifestyle influencer: You can make good money out of it, it gives you flexibility, and you’ll have the freedom to chase after your passion. However, finding success in this career path won’t come overnight. Here are some challenges you might face:
- It’s ultimately a small business, so growth might be slow.
- You have to work hard to be consistent in your posting and learn the technical aspects of being a professional blogger.
- The industry is saturated, so expect that there will be plenty of competition.
The bottom line, however, is that there is nothing you can’t achieve if you work hard, find ways to differentiate yourself from the rest, and believe in your ability to build something of value. Ask for help from people you can trust and have faith in yourself, and you have the building blocks for a successful career in this field. You can do it!